Go to Bottom


Go to Bottom - For Memorial Information Go Here
Some Images on this page have Links to larger Images - try clicking on them
All E-Mail Addresses on this Page have @ removed to avoid Spam Spiders!
To write any of them replace the "-" with a "@" to work as E-Mail in your Client

Do you want to place a Memorial on this Page? He must have served in the HANCOCK.. write the Yeoman about your wish here or you may add your own Memorial which we also list on our Visitor Taps Pages. You can request in the Questionnaire to place the Memorial on these Main Pages there.

Taps Page I

Home Page | Taps Page 2 | Quarter Deck

Our Taps Pages show no preference to who is placed here, either by Rank or Station in life. The Memorials are open to anyone who served aboard the USS Hancock CV/CVA-19, including our Attached Air Groups and are determined by their shipmates or next of kin.

If you would like to place a Shipmate or loved one here, the stipulation is that you have enough information on the deceased to place a Memorial here, and hopefully a photo.

Note: If you wish to suggest a name for either this main Taps Section or the Association Taps Page, please contact the Yeoman here. He will pass the information on to the USS Hancock Association's Officer in charge of listing deaths.

You may wish to add your own Memorial which we also list on our Visitor Taps Pages.

-- The U.S.S. Hancock CV/CVA-19 Association Taps List --

We have chosen not to list Association Taps information on this Website, but offer the Visitor a Link to the U.S.S. Hancock Association's Website Taps section.... Please visit their Tap's List - the Page will load extraneously: U.S.S. Hancock Association.

Crossing the Bar

Sunset and evening star
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For though from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crossed the bar.

- Alfred Lord Tennyson -

Background Music "Crossing the Bar" is played after Taps is sounded

Website Dedication - LTJG Dewey Lee Alexander, USNR - former YNCM and Ship's Secretary - USS Hancock CVA-19 - 1962-1964

Click Here for another Photo

LTJG Dewey Lee Alexander, USNR (Deceased)
LTJG Dewey Alexander was then Yeoman Master Chief (YNCM) and acting Ship's Secretary, working in the Captain's Office of the USS Hancock from 1962-1964 while I was aboard the HANCOCK. I worked under him and served under him proudly. The full details of this eulogy can be found on the Dedication and Tribute Page which I have placed on the Website to honor him. This Website and all its content is dedicated to this man whom I have only the very best regard for. I will never forget him - his voice, his perkiness - his smile and his great attention to duty.

When the HANCOCK returned to the States from our 1963 WestPac Cruise in December of that year, and after some time back at the Naval Air Station, Alameda, California, he was detached and left ship after receiving orders to LDO School.

I would never see him again in this life; however recently his daughter and grand daughter came forward and give me some photos which I am proud to display here on this website. These photos were long in coming - actually I had hoped for and wished some family member would happen upon this Website and help me as I had desired to have decent photos to help all of us remember him as he was back then. These photos are now on the Website, two of which are here. Click on the photo for a larger view of the photo or the 'here' link to see the photo of the man we honor here now.

LTJG Alexander was killed in the terrible fires that swept through the USS ORISKANY the morning of October 26, 1966 while the Oriskany was deployed to the waters off Vietnam. See the Dedication for more details on that tragedy.

LTJG Alexander was a fine Officer, Gentleman, Shipmate and a true Navy man whom I will never forget. Please visit the Dedication Page to discover my full sentiments for the man. You will find in the Dedication Log as well as the "Votive Candle Tributes" there, that I am not alone in my feelings for the man who is Dewey Lee Alexander.

I fully know that I will one day meet up with this man again, and it will be a wonderful reunion. I feel everyone who knew him will say the same thing. So I hale you, LTJG Alexander, and may you rest in Peace until we meet again.

Jake Jaccard, YN3, USNR - '61-'67
USS Hancock CVA-19 Captain's Yeoman '62-'64

Tragedy Strikes Roger W. Gunn, AM First Class - Burial at Sea

AM1C Roger W. Gunn

Roger W. Gunn Death Notice

Click Article for Larger Print
On 23 Aug. '45 , while Admiral Halsey's "Operation Tin-Type" was taking place, tragedy struck our squadron when Roger W. Gunn, AM First Class was electrocuted, in an unusual accident, in the Aviation Metal shop. Gunn was making souvenir ash trays from the butt ends of solid brass 40MM and 5" shell casings. The electric drill he was using was apparently improperly grounded.

Gunn had joined " Butch" O'Hare's VF-3 about the same time as I, and a number of other guys and had continued on in VF-6, as we had done. Others who had been together, with Gunn, for the 3 combat tours were Cliff Seaver, Chief Piwetz, " Buzy" Bauer, Frank Shamrow, Fred Ahern, Joe Robbins, " Cherry" Klingler, " Ken" Decker, George Rodgers, myself, and others.

It was a sad occasion, yet very impressive, when everyone not on watch, formed on the flight deck to pay last respects to our shipmate. Captain Gallery turned our giant carrier, " The Hannah," downwind, dropped out of formation, and adjusted the speed so that there was a perfect calm over the flight deck during the ceremony.

Our friend and shipmate, " Shot" Gunn, was buried at sea with full military honors, while his wife, Wilma, waited patiently at home for the latest information. After the honor guard had fired the last salute, and as the bugler had sounded "Taps," the National Ensign covering Roger's remains fluttered slightly, and then lay motionless at attention. The remains of Roger W. Gunn, encased in a weighted cocoon of canvass, had quickly slid from under the Flag as the portage was momentarily tilted toward the sea, by two attendants. As the gentle waves received his remains, a peaceful hush settled over the flight deck and his shipmates assembled there. It was as if everyone was paying their last respects and perhaps mourning inside, not only for their beloved shipmate, but also for all those lost in this long bitter conflict.

Reported by Capt Hershel A. Pahl, USN
Herschel Pahl <herschela+centurytel.net>

Note: Jake has made a point to include the above report of Roger Gunn's death in the Hancock History on this Website since it was somehow overlooked in the regular Hancock History as well as the Hancock WWII Deck Log. You can read it on the History Page of this Website here.

Joseph F. Parker, CDR, USN, Senior Chaplain aboard Hannah 1944-45

CDR Joseph F. Parker, Senior Chaplain, 1944-45Joseph F. Parker (May 12, 1909-November 28, 1988) joined the United States Naval Reserve in April, 1941. He was a Southern Baptist minister and was commissioned as an officer in the Chaplain Corp. Initial duty assignment was the USS Chaumont, a military transport ship. This ship was in a small convoy of Navy ships on a voyage to Australia one week out of Pearl Harbor when they got word that the Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbor. He served on the Chaumont till 1943 and was assigned to the Norfolk Navy Yard. In Dec. 1944 he was transferred to Pearl Harbor and joined the USS Hancock in Jan. 1945 and served through the Pacific campaigns and the end of the war. He was detached in November, 1945.

He was transferred to the Naval Hospital, Bethesda, Md. and served Dec. 1945 to September, 1946. He was then moved to the little Creek Amphibious Base, Virginia from Sept 1946 to Feb. 1948. In 1947 he applied for and was accepted into the regular Navy. He served on the USS Tarawa from March 1948 to May, 1949. This was followed by duty in Miramar, California and Great Lakes Naval Training Station until 1952.

He was assigned to the 1st Marine Air Wing in 1952 in Korea. He served there till 1953. He was instrumental in starting an orphanage for Korean children. He was cited by the Korean government for his work.

Other duty stations included Camp Lejeune, NC, the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Naval Hospital, Philadelphia, Port Lyautey, Morocco, and the Naval Weapons Station in Yorktown, Virginia until retirement in 1962.

He married Hazel Tignor of Elmont, Va. and had 4 children.

He loved the Navy. In the 1950s he wrote "Prayers at Sea". This book contained morning and evening prayers to be read over the loudspeakers and all religious services for Catholic, Protestant, and Jewish faiths. This book was intended for ships without chaplains. It was successful and had 5 printings. This book is still in use today.

His son, who donated this Memorial, states, "I miss my father. I am 67 and I look back with pride on his life of service to his family, his country, and his God. He had a commitment to purpose in life which gives true meaning to one's existence."

Clifton Parker

You can send Email to Cliff by sending a Request to the Yeoman.

Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3, Photo 4, Photo 5

Reverend Monsignor James J. Doyle, Junior Chaplain aboard Hannah 1944-46

Father James J. Doyle, Chaplain, WWIISept 30, 2001

The Hancock Association lost a very special member September 30, 2001. He was Reverend Monsignor James J. Doyle, Chaplain aboard Hannah 1944-46. The Association old-timers always refer to him as “The Padre.” He was named the Association's Chaplain and was honored by being made a Life member of the Association. He had been in ill health and in a nursing home for the past few years. He was able to attend the Association Reunion in Corpus Christi in 1996 and was in fine form here. We scheduled Mass every day during the Reunion, with the Padre conducting, of course, and it drew a large crowd every day. I don't know whether he was able to make the New York reunion or not, but he was unable to attend the one at San Diego last year. I have heard so much about him; I am glad I had the opportunity to meet him at the 1996 reunion. The nursing home called our member Stephen R. Mihalovic this morning to inform him of the death.

  • Notice courtesy of Tom Wimberly, USS Hancock CV/CVA-19 Association Membership Chairman* Anyone wishing to add a suitable memorial to Father Doyle, please send Jake Email

Visit the WWII Taps Memorial and Pay Tribute to Our World War II Shipmates who gave their All

An American Hero - His name was Lewis Burwell Puller, and he came from West Point, Virginia... This is his Story:

Stop Background Music & Reload Page for Chesty's Memorial

When he enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1917, he was just Serial No.135517. From that modest beginning, the young man rose through the ranks to later become Lieutenant General Puller. But in the annals of military valor, he is known as "Chesty" Puller, not only for his bull chest but also for his absolute fearlessness and devotion to duty. "Chesty" Puller came to the Marine Corps out of Virginia Military Institute, the college where General Stonewall Jackson taught before the Civil War. The school itself had a history of wartime valor. VMI cadets fought as a unit in Jackson's Army, the only time in American history when a student body was committed to a pitched battle. Cadet Puller may have been inspired by their heroism. Or perhaps it was the example of a cadet four years ahead of Puller - Lemuel C. Shepherd. In either case, with World War I raging in Europe, Puller left VMI at the end of his freshman year to enlist in the Marines, saying simply, "I want to go where the guns are!"

He didn't see service in Europe: the war was over before he could ship overseas. But he saw plenty of action before and during World War II and during the Korean War.

Slowly and steadily, he worked his way up the ranks. He received a direct commission. And he began collecting awards for valor. By the time he retired from the Corps in 1951 he had earned more awards than any Marine in history: five Navy Crosses, the Distinguished Service Cross, the Silver Star, two Legions of Merit with "V" device, the Bronze Star with "V" device, the Bronze Star, the Air Medal and the Purple Heart.

"Chesty" Puller became more than a hero: he was an American Legend. His gruff, give 'em hell attitude was admired throughout the Marine Corps. His bravery and his nickname, were known to the millions of Americans on the home front. He was a man's man, a Marine' s Marine. For all his renown, however, there are few permanent monuments to "Chesty" Puller. One is in the Hall of Valor at the VMI Museum. There, thousands of visitors come each year to learn about the VMI men who made our nation great. "Chesty" Puller's medals are on display along with those of Admiral Richard E. Byrd, General Lemuel C. Shepherd, and others.

This Memorial was placed here by Jake who Honors all our American Heroes 30 December 2012
And is Mirrored from "
Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller"
by James R. "Rube" Garrett's
A Marine Diary

Orlen Frank Klint, PN2, USN - X-Division - Personnel Office - 1960 - 1964

Orlen Frank Klint, PN3, USN - 1960-1964 - click Image for larger viewOccasionally in life, you meet up with someone very special who you will consider one of your closer friends - that holds true even more so when serving aboard a Naval Ship. Like water, a Sailor will find his level and the level aboard ship are those kindred spirits we run across who share the same interests, likes and dislikes. Orlen would rather go on tours and visit Base Exchanges than hitting the Hotsie Baths, Brothels and Bars in foreign ports. The Yeoman was also of the same mind and soul. Both of us were raised Christians and of the Lutheran persuasion at that time, and we both enjoyed what these foreign ports provided on a cultural level. Instead of visiting the less edifying establishments, we found ourselves taking tours that Special Services provided us, and also visiting the Churches and other inspiring places. Did that make us strange? Perhaps by your usual Sailor's Standard who found more fun in cutting loose in such places, but our fellow shipmates never found us strange; rather they appreciated us and we had many friends of like mind, and yes, we did attend Church services aboard ship whenever we could.

Orlen Klint was a high caliber individual who just liked people and he was in the right billet for this kind of personality - working as a Personnelman in the Personnel office, and everyone who knew him, called him friend. I was no different.

In 1964 we both left ship for the last time, as we both were separated from Active Duty. He went his way, and I went mine.

I last saw Orlen when after I was separated in 1964, I decided to take a trip up to his home town of East Grand Forks, MN on my way towards Wisconsin from California. He and I had a great reunion and I stayed with him a couple days renewing friendships and unwinding. I then took my leave of him and went to Milwaukee, where I stayed a year before returning to California. I was never to see Orlen again and we lost touch after the passage of years.

In 2002, while living in Florida, I wanted to see if I could find Orlen again. I had a friend who worked as Police Chief with the VA Medical Center at Bay Pines, St. Petersburg, FL. Having access to the National Drivers License Database, I felt he could find Orlen for me...

What happened is that he indeed did find Orlen, but he could only report to me that Orlen had passed on. I never learned much else about his life or death as he was an only child of aging parents so no trace of any next of kin to help me have some closure on the loss of my friend Orlen, so all I can report here is his death, but no Taps date. The impression I can get from a 'Spiritual' source is that he died in the early '90's and perhaps it was due to the stresses that he may have encountered duirng the terrible floods that hit East Grand Forks and the surrounding Red River basin, which was so wide-spread it even caused major flooding in St. Louis, Missouri. I know this is only an assumption - but I have often been right on such impressions. We'll have to leave the Truth up to God, whether my 'impression' is a correct one or not.

I just wanted you all to know that Orlen Frank Klint is no longer with us, and if you knew Orlen, please send Jake Email. It would be nice to hear from you so that we can celibrate Orlen's life in the good old Navy way.

Here's to Orlen Frank Klint, Shipmate and Friend. Sadly missed, but never forgotten.

Ken 'Jake' Jaccard, YN3, USNR-R '61-67
X-Division, Captain's Office, USS Hancock CVA-19 '1962-1964 - you can see where Orlen worked as a Personnel man in the Personnel Office on a normal Work Day

Edward A. "Ed" Horn, S1c, USN, (Deceased) - Taps 18 April 2002

"Ed" Horn, S1c Left with Buddy Clifford R. Kenney, S1c - the picture on the left defines our feelings for our Shipmates and now these Shipmates are together forever!

Ed had written the Yeoman some months before his death the following, after sending me these pictures:

Dear Jake....Photo's are hard to come by after 56 years...I lost everything in a fire that I was trying to save...This is a photo of myself and Clifford Kenny (He's on the Right in this photo).. Cliff was my very first friend on board the Hannah and one of our first Casualties also.. Cliff was knocked over the side by an F6F... I found it very hard to make friends after that....

I have a little note on my Wall Of Honor, that I want to share with you.....

"For those who fought for it...
freedom has a flavor the protected will never know!"

This had a great bearing on my selection of friends and associates for many years...

Ed and his buddy Cliff are together again, and what a glorious reunion that must have been!
Ed Horn

Clifford R. Kenney, S1c, USN, (Deceased) - Taps 24 March 1945

Clifford R. Kenney was on the Flight Deck 24 March 1945, when according to his Pal, Ed Horn, who said he was knocked overboard by a F6F Hellcat. The Yeoman has done a little Sleuthing in our History Pages to ascertain what could have caused such a terrible chain of events. Of course those who have been to Sea on an Aircraft carrier, even in peacetime training, with CARQUALS and training launches and recoveries. Anything can happen at a split second.

To the Navy, we are always training in peacetime, so we can be as Ready as we possibly can be, should war break out. We know how dangerous is activity on the Flight Deck, such things as crashes, fires, and in war, kamikazi and misssile strikes, bombs falling, and guns firing (at us). It is a very perilous place to work.

The Flight Deck Crew must have their heads on straight, and have the whole routines burned in their memories, and if you have ever watched a Flight Deck in action on a Youtube.com video or movie, you will know just what I am saying here. Death lurks everywhere! All it takes is to lose a few seconds of focus, could be fatal.

During my time aboard ship, from August of 1962-March of 1964, we lost a total of 7 shipmates, 2 crashes to my recollection, one of them was felt by the whole crew, because when Lt Meyers of VFP-63 crashed into the fantail, the whole ship shuddered! All that was left of him, was part of a leg, which we buried at sea with full honors. We all experienced much sadness during these times.

I can thus relate to the feelings of Seaman 1st Class Edward "Ed" Horn, when his best friend was knocked overboard, as he said in the post above this one, that his friendship with Clifford Kenney defined all his relationships from then on. When he passed on himself in 18 April 2002, I could only think of Ed Horn and Clifford Kenney having one wonderful reunion! There is no death in dying, only a sad parting for a short time, life never ends, it just moves on to a higher plane of action.

May God Bless these two Shipmates, and all those who go into harms way for our Country, and our People: a People who have come to love and revere their Freedom, and also their Warriors, and Veterans. Remember these the next time you are prompted to contribute to Wounded Warriors! They are a Worthy Charity, helping our Walking Wounded. God Bless you all! And May God Bless America!

Sincerely and best Wishes,

Jake Jaccard, YN3, USNR, 1962-67
Captain's Yeoman, 1962-64,
USS Hancock CVA-19

Philip J. Canty
Vietnam War Era Shipmate
(1967 - 1971)
Died 1 Nov 1997

Submitted by Mark Sullivan:

I am a Vietnam vet, albeit Army, but my closest friend served aboard the
Hancock off of Vietnam while in the Navy (1967 - 1971).

We had lived together in the early seventies and ran around together back then as young men did. Time saw us both buy homes, marry .and both divorce, go through the usual fun, trials and tribulations of life etc, but the friendship was the constant we could lean on.

His name was Philip J. Canty, originally from Medford Mass. Phil often talked about being an "airdale" on the Hancock. He died of a brain aneurism on Nov 1, 1997. He was helping another friend of ours prepare his boat for winter storage, when the unknown aneurism burst and he just collapsed. The doctors said he was dead before he hit the floor. The sad part was that he had a company physical the previous week and passed with flying colors He was an engineer with the Raytheon Co.

I check the reunion pages of the Legion, VFW, and DAV magazines for reunions of the Hancock, figuring I would go and at least represent Phil and let it be known the sailor had passed, as he really did enjoy his time on the Hancock; even if the stories were somewhat exagerated and embelished with time.

If you need a copy of the death notice or whatever, drop me a note and an address and I will send you a copy.

Thanks, and take care,

Mark Sullivan -

George E. Base

George E. BaseI'm typing this through tears. Thank you for this wonderful and thoughtful trip back in time. My husband, George E. Base served on the Hancock during his three years as a Marine.
He died in December last year (2000). He stayed a Marine until the end and had many stories to tell of his time on board. Many was the time I waited on dock for him to start weekend liberty.

Thanks again......I'm sending a link to this website to my
son and daughter.

Mrs. George Base

SHSN Walter E. Beilke

SHSN Walter E. BeilkeSHSN Walter E. Beilke from Chicago, IL. Born 11/16/38, died 09/30/90. Served aboard the Hancock from completion of modernization in 1956 to 1960. Picture was taken in Okinawa in 1957 from his scrapbook.

Memorial was submitted by Walter's son Joseph L. Beilke, OS1, USN (Ret) who wished to remember his beloved dad whom he remembered served proudly on the USS Hancock. Joseph stated in his request for this Memorial, "Jake, I would again like to say Bravo Zulu on the website. I only wish my father could have enjoyed viewing it as much as I do."

Joseph L. Beilke

NCCM(SW) C. R. (Corky) Johnson, USN Johnson - Courtland R. "Corky," X Division (E-8), 1974-76, died May 23, 2003. Survived by widow Faye.

NCCM(SW) C. R. (Corky) Johnson, USNCommand Master Chief Courtland R. Johnson, esteemed member of the Hancock Association and friend to many, served in all Five branches of the U.S. Military including the Merchant Marine; fought from Inchon Invasion through Chosin Reservoir in the Marines in "Chesty Puller's" 1st Marine Regiment, and re-enlisted in the USN in 1966 and later came aboard the Hancock in 1974 as Command Career Senior Chief (NCCS) during the final Two Cruises of the Hancock and the eventual evacuation of Saigon, during Operations Eagle Pull and Frequent Wind, where he was Command Career Counselor, NCCS, and in 1982, was one of the top four selectees for the position of Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy. Master Chief Billy Sanders, a friend, was selected.

More recently, Corky was satisfying his need to keep informed and to inform his other friends and fellow patriots in current events and issues affecting Americans in various Military related chat rooms and through Email where he found great pleasure. It is through this means, that many came to know Corky around the Internet and in the Hancock Association, where he was greatly respected and admired.

Corky was dealing with serious health issues in recent years, which often kept him down, and more recently was fighting an uphill battle with MSD, which he eventually succumbed to.

Corky leaves behind his devoted wife and family members, along with MANY friends who will sadly miss him. To the Yeoman, he will always be regarded as one of the most Phenomenal persons he has ever known. He more than likely is the only man who served faithfully in all Five Branches of the United States Military since now the Merchant Marine is included in the Military Service of our country. Please read his own Entry and his fascinating Memoirs in our Oral History Pages.

Corky said some very poignant things about the meaning of the word, Shipmate. Read what he had to say.

Fair Winds and Following Seas, Corky!

Memorial submitted by Mark Johnson, Corky's younger brother.

Charles Henry Faulkner, BM1, USN
- of Long Beach, California

Charles Henry FaulknerBorn July 8, 1924, in East St. Louis, Illinois. He joined the navy when he was just 17. He served proudly for 21 years on many different ships, in many different ports. He served on the U.S.S. HANCOCK from 1954 to 1955 (dates not exact). He apparently acted as a Master-at-Arms at various times during his career.

He passed away on August 18, 1974 in Long Beach, California.

Submitted by his daughter, Debi Faulkner-Ouellette of Bristol, CT - 29 Jun 2003


David Ray Mercer, AMS3, USN - from Maryland, V-6 Division, USS Hancock CVA-19 1965 - '67

Memorial was submitted by his widdow, Terri Mercer, of Upper Marlsboro, Maryland on 14 Septermber 2003.

Terri Mercer

Larry Vergin, AO3, USN - GM Division, '1965 - '68 from Poysippi, WI

Larry Vergin, AO3, USN '65 - '68Larry was one of my best friends. He came home from working the mid shift at the Norge plant, went to bed and never woke up. Wasn't sick. The Lord just sent him PCS Orders for the most exalted tour of duty. God bless his memory.
Taps: January 2004

See Picture #2

Submitted by AOCS Danny Blevins

David Mimnaugh, SN, USN - OI Division, 1974

David MimnaughDave was killed in an auto accident while on Liberty in 1974. Recently a shipmate of his, Kim Castro - RD3 /OS3, surfaced and left a message in our Message Board desiring help in locating David's family. The Yeoman went to work and searched the Internet for possible leads to his family, and found a memorial placed on his High School Memorial Page by his twin sister Diane Dye.

Kim Castro had David's Dog Tags all these years and desired to return them to his family. As you see by this picture, David's family now has his Dog Tags; this Picture, an appropriate Memorial to David.

Although David was not a combat Veteran, and his death was not service-related, the Yeoman feels that any death of any of our Shipmates diminishes us, and therefore we wish to remember David here on our Taps Page. Thanks KIm for remembering David Mimnaugh and wanted to return his Dog Tags to the Family. It was a noble and praiseworthy act.

Click Image for larger Photo | Click here for another Image

Diane Mimnaugh Dye -
Kim Castro - Morocco7-charter.net

Hazel "Tweety Bird" Phillips, MM3, USN, A Division A-2 Steam Gang, '65-'69. Taps 16 September 1993 - Age 47.

Click here for larger ViewMore recent picture of Hazel Phillips - click the image to go to the  Public Gallery MemorialsHazel played trombone in the ship's band.

Later in civilian life, Hazel worked on the Piedmont Ambulance Service in Rock Hill, S. C. from 1974 until 1981. He then went into Police work at the Riverhill's Police Dept., a part of Clover, South Carolina until 1993 when he became sick again in August of 93 and then a month later died.

He and Vicky had 4 kids, Teresa , Rhonda, Jennifer , and El ( Hazel Jr.). He was a Lt. and supervisor at Riverhills and a firearms instructor for SLED.

He was a good cop as well as a Paramedic. He had joined the Army National Guard in the late 70s , as a medic and in the 363rd tank division too, until his first heart attack in 1981.He stayed on the ambulance service but he was diagnosed with the Vietnam syndrome and with all the stress of things he had to finally quit the ambulance service.

Reported by his widow, Vicky Phillips Adkins -

Gunner Matt Johnson, CWO3, USN, GM/G Div' 66-'68. - Matt crossed over the Bar on May 6, 2005. Naval Service dates 9/1965 - 10/1988.

CWO3 Matt Johnson, USN (1988) Matt was an 'Ordie' on the Hancock for three Cruises, receiving his orders to the Hancock June 20, 1966 and finished off in 1968.

Matt had recently added some poignant and humorous stories to our Oral History Site, and briefly gave a synopsis of his Naval Career: "I went aboard the Hancock in '66, made 3 cruises; then reup'd for 6 yrs in '69, got Rota, Spain (2 yrs) then went to the World Famous "Pukin Dogs" - VF-143 (Miramar, CA/Oceana, Virginia), made 2 WESPAC and 2 MED cruises; NAS Moffett Field, USS Coral Sea, made 1 Indian Ocean cruise; made Warrant and crossed over to the Enterprise and made 1 Indian Ocean and 1 Indian Ocean/Med Cruise then I took the Weapons Officer job at Moffett Field and retired."

CWO3 Matt Johnson, USN (Retired)In 1979, after being assigned to the CORAL SEA, he was selected as Sailor of the Year while yet an AO1. Made AOC the next year, and then he became the Air Gunner on the Enterprise in 1983 and stayed aboard for 5 years. He loved the Sea, but after 8 consecutive years of Sea duty, he requested Shore duty and was assigned to Moffett Field as the Weapons Officer. At age 43, and finding out that Uncle Sam was going to send him to the East Coast he retired with 23 years and 24 days active service, eighteen of which had been sea duty. Yes, Matt truly loved the Sea!

Matt was a True Sailor and loved life, and never gave up the fight, though the odds against him became insurmountable; however after battling with metastasis Renal Cell Carcinoma for quite some time. Although he was dealing with this disease, fate had it that a massive hemorrhage would call him Home.

His wife reported,
"Jake, this is Matt's wife Pat - I am sorry to have to inform you that Matt passed away on May 6th, 2005. It was not from the cancer he was fighting but a massive hemorrhage. He was rushed to the hospital on Thursday evening and slipped into a coma shortly after arriving and passed away very peacefully on Friday."

Pat Johnson

Matt is missed by his beloved wife Pat; his friends who loved him, and his Shipmates who refuse to forget. Matt lived his life well, and filled it up to overflowing; yet he always had time for his friends and family.

We miss you Matt andl wish you Fair Winds and Following Seas, Shipmate!

Ken "Jake" Jaccard, YN3, USNR-R
Submitted by his wife and life mate, Pat Johnson

Thomas D. Harris, Captain, USN - Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HANCOCK CVA-19 Nov 1962 - Dec 1963, Taps 27 June 2001.

Click Picture for Career Data

Click Image for Capt Harris' Career Data
Captain Harris entered Naval Service on 1 May 1937, and Retired 1 February 1965, thus completing a career of 27 years and 9 months.

His Career Data does not indicate he served during Vietnam, but the dates of his service is validation that he did serve during the Vietnam War period unequivocally, thus adding to his War Record as well as to his honor as a Naval Officer and Veteran.

The Yeoman served under Captain Harris during this period and remembers him well. He was a tremendous Naval Officer and Aviator. His record was impeccable and I was proud to serve under him as his Yeoman.

He commanded great respect of the whole crew and everyone looked up to him. I wish I had more to write about him as a Memorial, but cannot, but if you click on his picture here, you will be treated to his Career Data which I am proud to provide you here.

I had contacted his son some years back where he stated his father lived in Gulf Breeze, Florida enjoying his retirement. It would be a good place for him to retire to, since it was not very far from Pensacola where no doubt, he received his flight training early in his career. It is also a beautiful place on the Gulf of Mexiso, where he could enjoy those same sea breezes he was so accustomed to as a Navyman and Officer aboard the HANCOCK and the other ships which he served in.

He will be sadly missed by this crew and his family.

Fair Winds and Following Seas, Captain Harris! -

Eulogy provided by Jake, one of his Yeoman, 1963-64
For comments
write the Yeoman

James P. Finley, AD3, USN, V-3 (Air) Division - Taps 12 May 1981- age 45 - Memorial by his son, Scott Finley:

Jim P. Finley, AD3, USN

James P. Finley, AD3, USN, USS Hancock 1957-1959
"My father Jim Finley, was born and raised in Augusta, GA. He died far too young in 1981, at the age of 45. I guess like all of us, he had his share of disappointments and triumphs. However, he always spoke highly of his time in the Navy, aboard the USS Hancock.

He was in V-3 (Air) Division, for nearly three years, from 1957-1959. I still have his cruise book from 1957, one of his uniforms - his Dress Blues he wore in this Photo taken in 1956 and dozens of pictures, etc.

I really miss him, and it does me good to see this Memorial to my dad.. Fair Winds and Following Seas, Dad!"

Scott Finley

Scott Finley contributed somewhat to our Hancock '
Icons of the Past' Gallery on some things his dad saved from his Hancock Days.. go here for that. For another photo of Jim, click here.

For comments write the Yeoman

Taps Page I

Home Page | Taps Page 2 | Quarter Deck

General Taps List from the Hancock Associaiton *

Go to Hannah Newsletter Taps Page
| The USS Hancock Association has the Current or near-Current Taps List on their Website:
Go there

Go to WWII Taps & MIA Page | Go to Quarterdeck Casualty and MIA Links

* If you see your loved one listed in the general list and wish them moved to the Specific Listing as above, send a message with request and picture(s)

Do you want to place a Memorial on this Page? He must have served in the HANCOCK.. write the Yeoman about your wish here or you may add your own Memorial which we also list on our View Visitor Taps Pages. You can request in the Questionnaire to place the Memorial on these Main Pages there.

Email the Yeoman

Please make a visit to our Warrior's Affirmation Page, Virtual Wall and the Veteran's Tribute Page

Go to Top

Add to Taps Page


* Page Information: If you would like to place a Special Image Memorial like the others on this page, send at least one picture of your loved one or friend via Email Attachment and the Yeoman will place it along with a brief Bio of our departed shipmate. Write the Yeoman for instructions on how to attach photos to an Email. This page will be expanded to others in time. Please try to send a picture of our shipmate as he appeared in uniform and a more recent one if possible. - The Yeoman - Return